Tuesday, February 17, 2015

SPA Spotlight: Shipyard Point Glassworks

SPA Spotlight: Shipyard Point Glassworks


Bev says:

"My name is Bev Lamoureux and I’m from Franklin, Maine, just “downeast” of Ellsworth. My business is named Shipyard Point Glassworks because Shipyard Point Road is where my family has built a home. I’ve been making lampwork glass since 2002 when my two children were eight and five years old.  The art is called lampwork glass because glass was originally melted with the flame of an oil lamp.




"I started out making glass beads, as every beginner lampworker does, but soon learned that I didn’t want to do what everyone else was doing, so I carved myself a niche by making tools and items appreciated by folks that work with fiber.  The large flat “Image” buttons were created completely by accident after I acquired a beautiful handmade wool jacket adorned with huge plastic buttons on the front. I couldn't bear these horrific buttons so I was driven to come up something more aesthetically pleasing.

"After many failed attempts, I designed this flat button that, by now, I have made thousands of, each one individually made and unique. And each button has a tiny signature glass millefiori slice to identify it as mine.

"All the tools have come about by seeing a need or problem and trying to come up with a solution.

"Customers are always full of great ideas and some ideas I have been able to create. If you have an idea, please send it my way. There is still time to come up with something new before SPA 2015.

"Let me know via email spglassworks@gmail.com or on my FB page, Shipyard Point Glassworks.


"Can’t wait to be back at SPA!"



Last Updated: 02.17.15

No comments: